Pages

11 February 2014

Gravity (2013)


If you don't want to read it all:
Score: 7/10
Verdict: It's good, but not as good as you may have heard about it!



I really hate it when I have big expectations from... well, anything. I usually don't look at trailers (I've been fooled by them too many times so I just don't care for them any more), I don't read up about upcoming movies and I follow just one rule: look at the critics opinion before watching a movie or playing a game. So when I heard of Gravity and looked up at the critics reviews... Whoa! Metacritic has an average score of 95%, Rotten Tomatoes is at 96% and IMDB is at 8.3! Well that sucks... Seeing scores like that makes you expect a new Godfather, a movie that will stand a test of time and will be enjoyed by generations to come. Is it really THAT good?

Gravity is fun. A lot of fun. Not Indiana Jones fun, but alone-in-space-where-you-can-die-any-moment fun. It really gives you a good impression of how dangerous space is. It tells a story of a NASA mission on Hubble Space Telescope gone wrong after an error made by Russian space agency or whatever. It's a story of ultimate survival in near-impossible situation with low-fuel space suits, low oxygen, constant danger of debris that moves at the bullet speed... I love George Clooney's character (Matt Kowalski), a veteran astronaut who remains calm throughout the entire situation. Such characters are often very annoying because they just don't seem real, but Clooney is just too good to bore you. He does his best to calm down Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock who does an amazing job in this movie, a class act!) and help her survive.

The visuals in Gravity are stunning. It really makes you feel like you are right there with them. I don't usually care about special effects since they've become more of a distraction and a cover for bad stories, but these are too good to be ignored, even by me. I'd be surprised if Oscars avoid this picture, it's really well deserved. I haven't seen the movie in 3D (another thing I usually avoid) so I can't say how that feels.

So back to the "Is it really THAT good?" question. It's hard to say. It is excellent! Very enjoyable, very fun, it didn't get boring for even a minute. It's a 90 minute movie which is another plus in my book. You could also say its unforgettable due to its rather unique nature. But it's not legendary material. And that's my main objection to critical reviews. I'd give it 8/10 or 80% because no matter how much I liked the movie, it's still missing that little something to make it deserve such high scores. 



Oh, and an update to Black Sails: it's been 3 episodes so far and almost nothing has happened. I hope it gets exciting soon; after all this show has so much potential it's impossible to screw it up. I will keep updating my thoughts on it since I've been covering it since first episode anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment