Pages

07 May 2014

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.


This show is a perfect example of a super big-hype, high expectations product gone wrong. Back when it was first announced, we were spammed with dozens of Marvel's superhero movies (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk... concluded with The Avengers) and even though most of them were also super big-hype and all that blah-blah, we still hoped for the best. It was set in a timeline right after the events in The Avengers, it listed Director Fury, Agent Hill and Agent Coulson (??? Didn't he die by Loki in the movie?) and promised a lot due to its setup. But it ended up being a big, big failure.

Or is it?

Now scratch all that and throw it away! Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is actually a very weird show - it really was something we expected a lot from, but it started so slow and bad that I am sure a lot of people gave up on it. If you are one of those who gave it another chance, and I am glad I did - you are up for a treat! I'd mark episode 14 as the turning point - when I saw Lorelei appearing (yay, an Asgardian!) in the show I was hoping they would finally make it fun to watch and follow. They did and I am very glad I believed in it all this time.

I won't write about the story nor the characters much, I don't want to spoil it in case you haven't seen it yet. If you are unfamiliar with the world of Marvel, here's a few lines: it's set on "normal Earth" (so no fantasy cities such as Gotham etc), but is a home to a few superheroes and a super top secret agency called S.H.I.E.L.D (it stands for Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division but that is unimportant to be honest). The agents mentioned in the title are brought together into a team by Agent Coulson and are given random assignments all over the globe, protecting us puny humans from all kinds of evil, including the superbad aliens and their artifacts. There are NO superheroes in the team whatsoever, everyone is a regular human with S.H.I.E.L.D. academy in its past and a lot of skills under the belt. These are the true good guys, comic-book type, the kind we all love. The episodes follow up on each other so you cannot skip any and just go back in (it's not CSI).

There's just one more episode left in this season, so it's a total of 22 for season one. I am not sure if season two is confirmed or not (I didn't do my homework, sorry) but I sure hope it is. Well, it will depend on season finale. I don't know what to expect from it, this show has turned around once already. Fortunately, that turn was for the good and lets hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment